Saturday, December 19, 2015

A632.5.5RB

A632.5.5RB – Protected Values in Decision Making 








MSLD 632: Decision Making For Leaders 
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Worldwide: Online Campus

December 19, 2015










I Will Protect You!




At some point in our lives, each one of us has something or someone so important to us that we will do whatever it takes to ensure its sustainability or that person’s well-being, whether in the dedication of time and energy or the extreme - sacrificing one’s life. This has been referred to as “protected value”. According to Hoch & Kunreuther (2005), “people consider protected values to never be sacrificed for any compensating benefit, no matter how small the sacrifice is or how large the benefit becomes" (p. 251).

Values are described as being “an individual or personal standard of what is valuable or important. Problems may arise where individuals allow their personal values to interfere with their actions, thereby potentially bringing their actions into conflict with stated ethical standards” (TCLS, 2015).

In my leadership roles, I must remember to adhere to my morals, ethics, and values, and at the same time remain in control and non-reactionary if there is a situation that contradicts those beliefs that I hold so dear.



It took me very little time to create a list of triggers that affect my peace of mind as the result a value conflict. "A trigger is something that sets off a memory transporting the person back to the event. Triggers are very personal; different things trigger different people. A person’s triggers are activated through one or more of the five senses: sight, sound, touch, smell and taste. The senses identified as being the most common to trigger someone are sight and sound, followed by touch and smell, and taste close behind. Although triggers are varied and diverse, there are often common themes" (U. of Alberta, 2015). A trigger to me is similar to a protected value and what I perceive to be important enough for me to protect. 


#1 PV: Safety
I found that my personal values are very similar to my professional values and vice versa. For example, the lack of safety is a trigger that affects my values and peace of mind.  With regard to my safety or the safety of others, I make it a priority to immediately address and to hopefully correct the situation. The need for safety has become a defining and important value in my life.  



I believe that I would even take a life-threatening, strategic risk, if necessary, to eliminate feelings of instability, insecurity, hopelessness, and disappointment in the workplace and/or in my personal space. This concern can apply to a potentially harmful environment, whether from malfunctioning machinery and tools or from people who are not in control or are acting in a harmful manner.  I would put myself on the line, front and center, to change the negative situation. Even the most basic safety measures can positively benefit those involved, allowing for a healthy work environment. It is important to me, then, to ensure that even the basics are in place, as it is in everyone’s best interests. 



Within the last few years, the American people have experienced and debated about the rights we have, in regards to protecting ourselves from harm. Many people are finding themselves entangled in the same philosophical battle as to what extent we are going to sacrifice our safety for sanity and peace of mind. The debate in America is still not over, but the debate for me in regards to safety is pretty clear. I have zero tolerance for any occurrence that will affect the safety for me, my co-workers, friends and family. I am willing to fight until the end on this issue with zero debate or trade-offs.



#2 PV: Privacy
Another issue that is a hot topic and trigger both personally and professionally involves privacy. I am a single female and the prospect of our government disclosing personal and professional information about my life, without my consent, possibly placing me in grave danger by compromising my safety, is extremely disconcerting.   

I find the inability of Americans to protect the privacy of their documents online, a direct conflict of interest and in conflict with tenets of our Constitution. Many internet businesses also compromise my safety and the safety of others, both personally and professionally, regarding privacy concerns. Over the years, Google and Facebook have been singled out on their questionable tactics with regard to customers’ privacy, resulting in extensive debates on privacy laws globally.

Because I signed the terms and conditions set by Google, I waived my rights to safety and privacy. Unfortunately, to date, an email server does not exist that is deemed safe and secure.  We also have seen an influx of cyber warfare against many organizations and government agencies that compromise millions of unsuspecting citizens.




Facebook has been fraught with unethical practices regarding privacy, safety and security laws. Because facial recognition, preferences, and data are stored in one location, Facebook users are inundated with third party problems. This is why I have not joined Facebook. Unfortunately, I have decided to use the Google email exchange service and have found many privacy issues, like email content and subject line scanning for marketing and third party uses, of course, without my consent.

Although I feel very strongly about protection of my privacy and rights as an American, I do not feel as though I would risk my life to prevent this type of unethical privacy breach to continue. It is not a strong line-in-the-sand issue for me.  While an online privacy breach creates a similar feeling to having my safety compromised, it does immediately or directly affect the safety or the safety of others around me.

#3 PV: Education
My last concern regarding protected values (PV) is education. I am a firm believer that acquiring knowledge, personally and professionally, is an important value to have as a contributing member of society. With more knowledge, I have found that decision-making is easier, as sorting through problems tends to be less difficult. Mastering the theory of empowerment through knowledge is essential.

There have been many times in my young adolescent life when I was discouraged to ask questions or to inquire about life issues. I feel as though I was held back due to my charismatic disposition, as it is now referred to as. My teachers never appreciated my sense of charm and leadership with others; and therefore, I was not supported or encouraged in my search for truth, answers and credibility, especially if it was not part of the curriculum. In fact, I experienced many negative experiences in the school system. I did not gain enough confidence and courage until later in life, to realize I had the right to learn, to grow, and to obtain information about anything I wanted. I, fortunately, had enough desire and drive to evidentially persevere and at this point, that desire and drive will never cease.




Although learning and acquiring knowledge is an important protected value of mine, I would risk only my time to protect anyone who attempts to interfere with someone who is trying to enhance their lives with knowledge, skills and wisdom.




References:
Hoch, S. J., & Kunreuther, H. C. (2005). Wharton on making decisions. (1st edition.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc. ISBN: 978-0471689386

TCLS. (2015). The Ethics, Morals, Values Distinction. Townsville Community Legal Service Inc. Retrieved from http://www.tcls.org.au/01_cms/details.asp?ID=39

U. of Alberta. (2015). What is a trigger? Psych Central. Retrieved from http://psychcentral.com/lib/what-is-a-trigger/








No comments:

Post a Comment