Sunday, December 6, 2015

A632.3.4RB

A632.3.4RB – Reflections on Decision Making 








MSLD 632: Decision Making For Leaders 
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Worldwide: Online Campus

December 6, 2015




         




Reflections on Decision Making  


frame blindness and how to guard against it



It is imperative to always consider other points of view, as other opinions and input might change my decision-making, resulting in more targeted or successful outcomes. I prefer to be informed about the operations of my department at all times. By gathering pertinent information, like data analysis to forecasting production quality, my job as the Quality Manager of a printed circuit board facility is to never be closed minded or misinformed. “Managers tend to look out the world through one mental window and fail to notice the views offered by other windows. They may operate from outdated frames or try to solve a problem by using a sales frame. Worse yet, they may not even know they are doing so. This is frame blindness” (Hoch, Kunreuther & Gunther, 2001).

My preference as a leader is team building. I always try to incorporate as many departments as possible into the problem solving process. The more people involved in the decision-making, the more engagement and responsibility each person will adopt.  This is the direct example cross-functional team model. I have found that bringing together those with divergent experiences and skill sets add perspectives that would have never been considered.  It has always worked positively in that it sparks more creative thinking. At the very least, those involved hear differing approaches and learn from each other, growing in the process.  “Many companies are turning to cross-functional teams as an antidote to myopic thinking and frame blindness” (Hoch, Kunreuther & Gunther, 2001).

three ways I avoid “framing traps”



There are three key steps for taking charge of your frames:

See the frame by conducting a frame audit
Identify and change inadequate frames
Master techniques for reframing

In order to be an effective manager, it is best that I personally control my intuitive opinions, as they may be incomplete or come from an emotional construct, until I have gathered complete and verifiable information. This is the first step I usually take to conduct a frame audit.  This way, if there were to be a real problem on the production floor regarding operations and quality, I will have the foundation to move forward in the problem solving process.  If I find that my intuitive, initial feeling is not valid or applicable, or if I learn something in the discovery process that alters my original opinion, I will make the changes in my thinking.  

I must admit that at times I have to re-verify the input if my initial opinion is strong.  This is a process I try to control, as I am aware that I cannot allow assumptions or hubris into my decision-making. It is a work in process for me. “Managers can consciously control their frames, rather than to be controlled by them – and even use framing to their advantage” (Hoch, Kunreuther & Gunther, 2001).

another way to have said that or frame it?



I tend to be quick with retorts and solutions, team-building experiments and passion. I would love to practice the art of mastering frames. It would then be prudent to experiment with different frames and compare the solutions. I would be advised to compare and contrast different environments, perhaps even think about how others might frame a problem. There are master techniques to reframing. 

It has been advised to firstly “identify potential weaknesses, then develop the capacity to synthesize, select the right frame for the problem at hand, think outside the box, and lastly try to change the kind of information you want to gather” (Hoch, Kunreuther & Gunther, 2001).

complex decision-making anyone?



As a manager, I am bombarded with many problems throughout the day. Some are directly influenced and affected by one another, while other problems are intertwined, or perhaps affected by personnel issues. Knowing this, the process of audit framing becomes all the more important. Complex issues can seldom be solved within a single frame. In fact, the higher a person rises in an organization, the more time should be spent on framing (and reframing) key issues. Managers must learn to recognize the limits of their own frames and to appreciate the value of other perspectives. 

They must learn how to recognize and challenge other people’s frames and master techniques to help others to accept better frames. Management differs from leadership. Managers operate within an existing frame and execute; leaders ask the deeper questions, provoke new ideas and operate across frames, moving the organization from an old frame to a new one. Effective leaders challenge old frames, envision bold new ones, and contrast the two very clearly” (Hoch, Kunreuther & Gunther, 2001).

tools missing from my toolkit….?



Reflection and self-awareness are key factors to being a successful manager. I know I must assess events during and after an occurrence. With quality reflection and self-awareness time, I can learn and grow from the discovery or experience.  I know that I have the opportunity to improve as a leader if I invest the time.  It is important to ask “in which ways was the problem perhaps misframed” (Hoch, Kunreuther & Gunther, 2001)?  

the great risk behind framing a decision…

I think being narrow minded, judgmental or just plain stubborn is a very big problem when managing and leading teams or working with peers. I try to encourage differing perspectives and try to set the environment for open dialogue, although I have found that this can be a challenge. Like myself, my team members and co-workers can be demonstrative and passionate about what they believe, creating an emotionally charged environment that can disrupt relationships and the business environment. 

Dynamic, open environments for diverse thinking can be risky for these reasons, but in the long run, the potential solutions are in the best interests of the company.  “Different frames, and the associated overconfidence instilled by them create the potential for conflict. These frame conflicts can generate outright hostility, accusations of private agenda or questions about competence” (Hoch, Kunreuther & Gunther, 2001).  

my personal lessons learned…



I have learned to consider other perspectives by being self-aware and by considering if I am being biased or open-minded. I know I must gather relevant information, obtain other’s opinions, create and implement a game plan with milestones/bench marks, and follow through with the vision, adjusting frames along the way, checking in periodically with each step.

The art of framing really seems to be fundamentally based upon the understanding of the organization, industry, competition, goals, vision, employees, shareholders, suppliers, network, strengths and weaknesses.  “Challenge your framing with alternative images and solutions to see which one works better. Most times a combination of the elements from the framing offers the best outcome” (Hoch, Kunreuther & Gunther, 2001). I know that the avoidance of frame blindness will always take work and focused practice. 

Reference:
Hoch, S. J., Kunreuther, H. C., & Gunther, R. E. (2001). Wharton On Making Decisions. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment